Kingstonian supports the Rainbow Laces campaign
Saturday's game against Billericay Town is in support of the Rainbow Laces campaign.
Kingstonian FC, Kingstonian Supporters Club, the Football Association and the Surrey County Football Association are delighted to be part of Stonewall's 2022 Rainbow Laces campaign.
For almost ten years, Rainbow Laces has brought visibility for LGBTQ+ people in sport and raised awareness of experiences on and off the pitch. In the past year, much progress has been made, with several athletes bravely coming out across multiple sports, with support from their clubs and the vast majority of fans.
- But there is still so much that needs to be done - and the numbers show it.
- Only 43% of sports fans think that live sports events are welcoming for LGBTQ+ fans.
- 14% of sports fans still think that homophobic remarks are acceptable in sport.
- Just 40% of sports fans think that competitive sport is welcoming for gay and bi men.
- 43% of sports fans think competitive sport is welcoming for lesbian and bi women.
- Only 29% of sports fans think that competitive sport is welcoming for trans sport personalities.
Inclusion has no off-season.
Whether you're a sports fan, a gym-goer, or part of your local community sports clubs, it's important that efforts are kept up to make sport everyone's game all year round. You can make a difference just by starting conversations with those around you, calling out anti-LGBTQ+ sentiment when you hear it, and raising awareness of the stigma and discrimination that LGBTQ+ people in sport still face. Countless individuals, grassroots organisations, and sports clubs are already lacing up to keep up their work for sports inclusion. We know we’re always strongest when we stand together – so join us in keeping it up.
Since Rainbow Laces first kicked off in 2013, over a million people have laced up in support of LGBTQ+ inclusion in sport, our web guru has done exactly that himself for a number of years (sad and battered shoes pictured here).
Kingstonian Football Club and Kingstonian Supporters Club are proud to support the Rainbow Laces campaign and also Football v Homophobia and look forward to supporting similar upcoming anti-racism campaigns with the Surrey County Football Association.