Log in or Register

Kingstonian 2-2 Wingate and Finchley (2-4 pens)

Wingate & Finchley

Careless K's out of the FA Trophy at the first hurdle

Kingstonian have limped their way out of the FA Trophy at the Third Qualifying Round stage after losing on penalties to Wingate and Finchley after a 2-2 draw that won't live long in the memory.

Truth be told this was a game between two poor teams which was won by a visiting team who knew where the net was in the penalty shoot-out.

K's took the lead through the excellent Ben Ward-Cochrane in the 14th minutes before Wingate and Finchley equalised nine minutes later thanks to an Antonis Vasililou strike.

The second half was a desperate affair with little to entertain the hardy souls who braved the sunshine at Imperial Fields, yet somehow there was some drama to finish the game. Ben Ward-Cochrane was helped from the field in the 61st minute after receiving a blow away from play and he was unable to return, then with sixteen minutes remaining Dylan Kearney gave his side the lead just four minutes after entering as a second half sub. K's did not look like coming back into the game, yet in the 83rd minute Tyrese Owen popped up to head home.

Unbelievably K's had the chance to win the game from the penalty spot in the 86th minute, but Ben Goode made a fine save from Kieron Cadogan's spot kick.

And so to penalties where Thomas Gogo nonchalantly missed the target with Corey Parchment seeing his soft penalty saved. Kenny Beaney and Kieron Cadogan did score their penalties whilst Sam Jackson saved well from Tyrique Clarke, but it was Dylan Kearney who scored the winning penalty and it is Wingate and Finchley who can look forward to Monday's draw,

As Haringey Borough defeated Brightlingsea Regent this afternoon in their FA Trophy tie, our league meeting on 29th October will have to be re-scheduled, news on that and if we are able to pencil in a replacement fixture will be on the website as soon as possible.

Published Saturday 8th October 2022