Log in or Register

Herne Bay 1-1 Kingstonian


Very much a game of two halves, K's score late to get a deserved draw.

Played four, drawn four is the bottom line for Kingstonian from the opening two weeks of the new campaign.

To keep in line with how unusual the season feels currently, this was our first ever away league game against Herne Bay, and sadly thanks to pitch issues the game was moved to Ramsgate's Southwood Stadium.

This was as near to the very definition of a game of two halves as you can possibly get, with the hosts dominating the first half and could easily have put the game away by the break, and then the visitors having by far the better of the second half and could easily have done enough to be victors themselves.

The Herne Bay goal in the first half was a minor disaster for the K's as in the 27th minute a long range strike at goal from Chris Edwards successfully nutmegged K's goalkeeper Rob Tolfrey and flew into the net. Despite the freaky nature of the goal, Herne Bay thoroughly deserved to be leading at half time as they enjoyed far more possession and restricted K's to no more than a couple of half chances.

The second half was completely different as K's went on the front foot and, for the vast majority of the second half, stayed there in search of an equaliser. Herne Bay's goalkeeper Jordan Perrin made a series of fine saves to keep his team in front, but could nothing about Tyrese Owen's header from a Louis Collins free kick with four minutes to go. Perrin did make a vital save immediately after from Kieron Cadogan, but after six minutes of injury time in what on occasion was a very tetchy encounter, the final whistle blew and this unusual campaign continues with K's being one of only three unbeaten teams in the division but also one of two teams still searching for a win.

Next up is a big local derby on Monday afternoon when Carshalton Athletic are the visitors to Imperial Fields, kick-off at 3.00pm.

Published Saturday 27th August 2022