Log in or Register
Kingstonian 1
Body (12')
0 Carshalton Athletic

Somehow only one goal is scored as K's U18s win

Quite how only one goal was scored in this match is a bit of a mystery, but Kingstonian will be happy to claim all the points, thanks to an early goal from Alex Body and a late penalty save from Shay Honey.

K's started this game against Carshalton Athletic very confidently and nearly took the lead in the fourth minute when an Alex Body shot was well saved by the excellent Robins goalkeeper Joseph Parker, the Robins defence managed to block attempt number two before Callum Stephens put the ball over the bar.

Callum was at the very centre of what became the winning goal in the 12th minute when he blasted a shot from the edge of the area that managed to hit both posts before Alex Body beat two defenders to the rebound and passed the ball into the net.

David Lopes was very unfortunate not to double Kingstonian's lead on two occasions, one in the 18th minute that thundered against the bar and the second occasion in the 39th minute was a laser blast from about three miles away that Carshalton keeper Parker made a wonderful fingertip save, pushing the ball against the left hand post.

The Robins began to enjoy more and more possession the longer the game went on, with in the 42nd minute Christian Owusu taking advantage of some sloppy passing by the home side to fire a shot at goal that was well saved by Shay Honey.

The second half was really a harem scarem end-to-end affair with both teams battling it out at full speed to gain the advantage, but somehow the scoreline remained the same. K's did have the ball in the net in the 72nd minute when Callum Stephens was penalised for handball just as he passed to Alex Body, who put the ball in the net. In the 81st minute, Joe Parker made yet another fabulous save when he tipped David Mensa-Bonsu's long range dipping shot over the bar, but for much of the second half it was the Robins with the pressure and they arguably deserved an equaliser.

In the 89th minute, they thought they would get their equaliser when the referee penalised Lucas Clarke for tripping Robins' captain Kevin Afam in the area, though to these completely biased eyes it looked like the K's defender won the ball. Anton Vorukov stepped up to take the penalty and was unfortunate to see Shay Honey make a fabulous save to his left. Five minutes of added time ticked very very very slowly by but the referee at last decided that he'd seen enough and K's had their first home Isthmian Youth League win of the season.

Published Wednesday 6th October 2021 (last updated Friday 8th October 2021)