Log in or Register
Kingstonian 2
Stephens (45'), Ntim (51')
2 Three Bridges
Colcutt (10', 55')

Kingstonian win 3-1 on penalties


K's Under 18s through after dramatic shoot-out

Kingstonian moved into the Second Qualifying Round of the FA Youth Cup after defeating Three Bridges 3-1 on penalties after a dramatic 2-2 draw at Raynes Park Vale.

Three Bridges opened the scoring in the 10th minute with a smart set piece goal when Conner Colcutt rose highest to glance the ball past Kingstonian goalkeeper Shay Honey. The visitors looked more likely to increase their lead as K's found it hard to get a foothold into the game, however as the first half went on, the home side managed to put some passes together and started creating some chances of their own. Then as the clock ticked over to 45 minutes, Kingstonian equalised with a mightily fine goal - Kwesi Ntim seized possession in midfield and forwarded the ball to Alex Body, Body then played a short pass that released an onrushing Callum Stephens, who raced past a defender before slotting the ball from the edge of the area past the Bridges' keeper.

Six minutes into the second half, Kingstonian were in the lead when Kwesi Ntim battled his way past his marker on the byline and shot the ball home from an acute angle. But the lead didn't last long as Three Bridges were back on level terms in the 55th minute from another set piece, this time Colcutt firing home from a corner from the left.

The game rose even further in intensity the closer it got to full time, with K's looking dangerous in open play and Three Bridges threatening with free kicks and corners. K's were denied on several occasions by a fine performance from Three Bridges goalkeeper Leo Anderson, but they thought that they had won it in the 90th minute. Kwesi Ntim turned his defender and rifled the ball home at the near post, but the assistant referee quickly raised his flag for offside from the initial pass to Ntim. Alex Andreou voiced his displeasure at the decision in such a manner that the referee ordered him from the field.

With the FA Youth Cup not having extra time, the game went straight to a penalty shoot-out. The shoot-out began in a manner befitting the occasion when the outstanding Three Bridges keeper took the first penalty and duly scored. K's captain Lucas Clarke then equalised before Shay Honey dived to his left to save Callum Chesworth's effort. Leo Anderson then put his team effectively back on level terms when he saved Alex Body's penalty before Shay Honey made his second save, a superb dive to his right from Samuel Jones' kick. David Lopes put K's into the lead with his kick, though Anderson got a hand to the shot, before Shay Honey did it again with another fine save, this time from Ben Aubrey. Kwesi Ntim then wrong footed the Three Bridges keeper and that was that.

In the next round, the K's will play Lewes, probably on Thursday 30th September, but this will be confirmed in due course. Next week is a busy week, as the Isthmian team visit Chertsey Town on Monday (7.30pm) and the Combined Counties team host Bedfont and Feltham, kick-off at Molesey will be 7.45pm.

Published Thursday 16th September 2021