Log in or Register
Faversham Town 0
5 Kingstonian
Brown (12' og), Bennety (44'), Bennett (79'), Johndon (84'), McCollim (90')

Five Star K’s Win The League Cup

It’s difficult to know what to expect from a cup final. A nervy, tense encounter? A defensive stalemate between two teams desperate not to lose? Late drama? Penalties? It’s easier to know what not to expect: the game to kick off six minutes early, an absolute hammering and the man whose name is on the trophy joining fans behind the goal as they sing his name over and over again. Kingstonian beat Faversham Town 5-0 to become the first winners of the Alan Turvey trophy. It wasn’t meant to be this easy, but it was. It extravagantly, gloriously, surprisingly was.

Kingstonian played attractive football throughout, led by the mercurial genius of Dan Bennett. Carshalton’s artificial pitch felt like it had been carpeted purely for him to torment Faversham’s defense as he scored two and set up another. It was brutal. It was beautiful. It was Kingstonian.

Ks took the lead 12 minutes in as Ty Smith’s corner struck Faversham’s brown before bobbling into the net. It wasn’t an auspicious start (nor was the 7:24pm kick off) but Ks were on their way. Faversham, underdogs from the Ryman South gave a good account of themselves in the first half, controlling possession and having a goal ruled out for offside, but the game sealed just before the interval. The through ball to Dan Bennett was perfectly weighted and the finish matched it: coolly lifted over the onrushing keeper to double the lead.

Soon after half time, Ks had a chance for a third as Andre McCollin was fouled in the box, but the striker powered his spot kick wide to eke out any remaining tension. And tense it almost was as Faversham twice hit the woodwork: Monger’s free kick clipped the bar before Scarborough saw his header tipped onto the post by Rob Tolfrey.

As the game entered the final ten minutes, and Ks fans were distracted by a behind-the-goal visit from Turvey himself, Dan Bennett finished assembling the cake, stuck the icing on and unloaded a vat of cherries on top. His second was deliciously curled into the top corner from the edge of the area before he created Ks’ fourth, twisting and turning the Faversham defender until he contorted to the brink. His lay off to Sean Bonnett-Johnson was precise and matched by the firm sidefoot into the roof of the net. There was still time for Andre to get on the scoresheet with a deflected drive.

The full time whistle went, champagne was sprayed, there was a half-baked pitched invasion. It was the magic of the Turvey in full force as the man himself, sponsored by Robert Dyas, looked on smiling sweetly. Despite some sniffy-nosed attitudes, the players looked genuinely delighted as the passed around the trophy. The celebrations continued on the pitch, in the changing rooms and in the pub. We went to Harrow (twice), some of us went to Leiston for a game in the fog. We beat a Wingate side in semi-embarrassing circumstances and it had all led to this. Now all that’s left is to get promoted and retire with a 100% Alan Turvey record.

Match report by Jamie Cutteridge.

Published Wednesday 12th September 2018